Get a Library Card / Circulation Policies
Adults need a valid photo ID and proof of current mailing address. Children must be at least 5 years old to get a library card. Children (ages 12 and younger) applying for a library card should be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
You need a current photo ID with current address OR two forms of identification which together show a current photo and current address. Frequently used types of identification include current driver's license, sheriff's identification, school ID, automobile registration, bus pass or a piece of mail.
There are 2 ways to get started:
- Stop in the library with the identification mentioned above to obtain your library card.
- Start the application process online. Patrons who are at least 13 years old can begin their library card application online. When you register online, you will receive a temporary barcode number that you can use to request materials. Then come into any library and verify your current address with a photo ID to receive your permanent library card. After you have your permanent card you will be able to check out items and use online resources.
Using the Library:
- Your library card is valid at all 32 Onondaga County Public Libraries (OCPL).
Checking Out Materials
Must have your library card or picture ID to check items out
- Books, audiobooks, music and magazines are loanable for 3 weeks
- Rapid Read books can be checked out for 1 week with 1 automatic renewal. They must be returned to MFL
- DVDs/Blu-rays are loanable for 1 week
- Quick Flicks are loanable for 7 days with no renewals and must also be returned to MFL
- TV series seasons are loanable for 3 weeks
- Automatic Renewals - All MFL items are allowed 2 automatic renewals - These renewals are granted 3 days before the item is due and the renewal will only go through if the item has not been requested by another patron. You can check the item renewal status through your account or by calling the library.
*If you would like to receive email notifications about renewal due dates please ask a library staff member.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are borrowing an item from another library in Onondaga County, it may not have automatic renewals. Please contact the owning library to inquire about automatic renewals.
You can request items to be reserved for you
- When placing a hold, you have the option of which library you would like to pick it up.
- Once your request has come in and you are notified via email, phone or mobile text, you will have 7 days to pick up the item
- You are allowed up to 50 hold requests at one time
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL): If what you want is not available within the OCPL system, contact the library to put in a request for an ILL. Click here for more information about requesting ILLs.
- Items can be returned to any other Onondaga County Public Library
- Rapid Reads books and Quick Flicks must be returned to MFL
- Playaways must be returned to MFL’s front desk
- Fines must be under $10 to check out materials from MFL
- 25¢ per day for adult items - max $10
- 10¢ per day for children’s and teen items - max $5
- Paying Fines:
- You can pay fines at any Onondaga County Public Library – MFL accepts cash or checks payable to Marcellus Free Library
- If you have fines of $3 or more, you can pay online by logging into your account using a credit card or Paypal.
Note: Circulation and fine policies vary among OCPL. Check your receipt for due dates.